Friday, April 22, 2011: Mystery Woman!
Do you recognize this fair young maiden? If not, use the hints below to help you identify her. The numbers also represent the points you earn for guessing correctly:
10. She exists in several cultures.
9. In German she’s a Nix, in Irish a Banshee, in Scottish a Bean Nighe, and in Romanian, a Lele.
8. The video game “Call of Duty: Black Ops” features a Russian ship with her name.
7. Another popular culture parallel may be the film Ondine, starring Colin Farrell.
6. Some elements of her story may also be noticed in The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.
5. The first Czech one was Růžena Maturová, March 31, 1901.
4. Her father is a water goblin.
3. She falls in love with a human prince (of course).
2. The libretto is by poet Jaroslav Kvapil, based on the fairy tales of Karel Erben and Božena Němcová.
1. She sings to the moon.
Who is she? None other than …
Růžena Maturová as Rusalka, from Antonín Dvořák’s opera of the same name. — oo